Monday, February 22, 2010

George

George stopped by during passing period today (it was B day, so he didn't have my class) and asked for the millionth time (ok, that's a hyperbole) if I got the scores back from the practice TAKS test they took two weeks ago.

George, who never did any work first semester, who guessed on every single multiple choice question and left anything that wasn't multiple choice blank, who just didn't CARE at all, has completely transformed.

So when I had to tell him that he had made a 75% percent on the test that he had so laboriously annotated in an effort to utilize every strategy he knew, whether it was eliminating wrong answers or underlining important details, it was both a heartbreaking AND heartwarming moment.

Many other students would smile and say, "Yes! I passed!" with no desire to improve that average score. Upon seeing the 75%, George's face fell. That look of disappointment on his face...

"Ms. Chen! Are you serious?" he moaned. "Not even 80?"

Even though George was disheartened, I felt almost giddy at his dismay. One more kid invested, and Ms. Chen is satisfied.

What made the day even better, I called his great grandmother to share that little story with her. She said I made her day, then proceeded to chat with me for about 20 minutes (you know how older people are...even though she's younger than my grandmother by at least 10 years) about how she had all her friends praying for George.

All I can say is pray a little more, friends, because I really want him to pass the TAKS with at least an 80!

No comments:

Post a Comment