Saturday, August 22, 2009

Getting ready for Monday...

After so many weeks of professional development (which, frankly, was a lot of time wasting), it was great to finally start working at Franklin D. Roosevelt High School! I've been busy meeting my fellow staff members, decorating my classroom, and getting ready for Monday.

The staff
Most of the other teachers here have been amazingly helpful to me. I love the English department - I'm now the new "baby" of the department (a title that my 25-year-old colleague was more than happy to pass on). My department chair seems to know what she's doing, and there's another teacher who I can tell is going to be my "mom." She's been taking care of me, making sure I know what I need to know. I'm excited to get to know everyone here!

Decorating
People really need to know how much work and money teachers spend on their classroom. All I can say is thank goodness for the lovely law firm that sponsored us and gave us all gift certificates for the teacher supply store. Who knew that borders were so freakin' expensive???

I'm doing a movie theme for my class (surprise surprise). Here are some pictures. It's still a work in progress.





The outside of the door (those little strips are movie quotes).


10th graders are going to be sitting there on Monday...




The back of the classroom. I am proud (perhaps pathetically so) of that banner that I made all by myself.


The front of the classroom. (Check out my UCLA pennant!)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, your classroom looks great! Very you, and I love the Bruins pride. :)

    ReplyDelete