Monday, August 31, 2009

You make me wanna shout (throw your hands up)

As I walked down the hallway during my prep period, all I could hear was shouting. Teachers shouting at the kids to be quiet, to do their work, shouting that “y’all are getting on my nerves.”

One teacher tells me that yelling is the only thing these kids know. I don’t doubt that whatsoever.

In my class, I do not yell at the children. #1) It takes too much energy on my part and #2) I believe that these children need to learn to deal with consequences other than referrals, suspensions, and an adult’s yelling. Instead of shouting for them to be quiet, I raise my hand. They are then supposed to raise their hands and stop talking. So far, it’s been relatively successful.

On Friday, my students took a diagnostic test. My 3rd period was giving me a massive headache. They kept talking, even though I set very clear expectations that I needed the room to silent. A kept turning to talk to a girl behind him, then asking to go to the bathroom, etc. These kids just would not listen to anything I said. When they finally went to lunch, I called my mom, telling her I was about to go crazy, that these kids would not listen to me, even when I kept going through my consequences list.

After lunch, they returned to finish their test. One of the hall monitors brought in A. The entire time, I heard the coach tell him to watch out, he’s already got one referral under his belt.

Coach drags A into the room.

“This boy givin’ you trouble, Ms. Chen?”
“Well…we’re working on it,” I reply.
“If you need anything, you tell me, all right? You sure you don’t want me to take care of anything?”
“I’ll let you know if I do; thanks, Coach.”

Coach then steps into the room, where A has now turned back to the girl behind him to flirt some more.

“Boy! I’m telling you!” Coach barks. “You better watch it, or you’re going to end up in jail! And not even juvy, because you’re too old!” A stops talking.

He then points at some other kids in the class that are socializing. “You too! Now y’all better shut up and do what you’re told!”

After he leaves, the class has most definitely quieted down.

I am positively seething. I have no idea how to handle this.

“Ok, everyone needs to finish their diagnostics,” I say feebly as the bell rings. The rest of the 30 minutes are pretty much silent.

Before they turn in their tests, I raise my hand for attention.

“I’m going to be straight up with y’all about two things. One, I am very disappointed in you.” I give them a quick lecture about talking, and how they need to follow direction and be mature. “Two, I will be completely honest about something – I did not appreciate how Coach came in and spoke to you guys like that. You guys do not deserve to be spoken to like that. You may have noticed that my way of disciplining and getting attention is a little different than what the other teachers do. That is because I believe that you all are mature adults, and therefore you deserve to be treated like an adult – but you need to prove to me that you are mature, and that you can handle that type of treatment. I am here so you can learn – I am not here to yell at you, to discipline you – I am here to teach you. I want to treat you all with the respect you deserve, but you need to give me reason to do so.”

A finally makes eye contact with me.

1 comment: