Monday, January 18, 2010

Discovering Dallas, Part I



In TFA, they talk about this thing called PPA: Personal and Professional Alignment. I’ve decided that in order to maximize my effectiveness at work, I need to maintain a healthy personal life.


At lunch this weekend, a fellow TFA friend and I realize that our yearnings for our respective hometowns possibly stems from our current dislike of Dallas. We’ve lived here for about half a year, and yet we have not seen too much of the city. To delineate between TFA Dallas and regular Dallas, we’re going to explore Dallas some more in an effort to make our personal lives a little happier and have something to look forward to other than hours of lesson planning on the weekend.


After this lunchtime discussion, we feel extremely full and realize that our morning workout is completely shot from overeating (even though the Japanese place we ate at was only mediocre – when does that stop me from eating?). It’s my friend’s New Year’s resolution to lose weight, so we decide to walk it off.


It’s a gorgeous day outside. The sun is out for the first time in what feels like weeks, and we choose to check one thing off of our “To Do in Dallas” list: Katy Trail.


We circle around Uptown, searching for the entrance to the trail, and end up in Highland Park, ogling the mansions. (Side note: I want to live in a castle in Highland Park.)


Finally we circle back around and find a park. We explore the park and eventually find the trail. Unfortunately, I was not wearing proper shoes, and end up getting an enormous water blister on my heel, which burst. Not fun.


When I return home, I’m crippled, yet happier than I’ve been in a long time. Sunshine really does make one happier.


We return on Monday (yay for Martin Luther King, Jr.!), decked out with proper footwear, and make the 7 mile walk.


(I not FOB!)

At the beginning of the trail.


Victory! 3.5 miles there and back!


Result? Ms. Chen feels slightly healthier, and is ready to conquer Dallas and semester 2. Bring it on!


No comments:

Post a Comment